Gas networks donít just hide assets under ground
Tuesday 3rd May 2016
When I first got involved in the stakeholder panel of National Grid Gas Distribution, one of the most common complaints from the panel members was that they didnít realise the network did so much to benefit the wider community. It wasnít just gas flowing through pipes. And with my engagement with panels run by Wales and West Utilities and Northern Gas Networks, the same observation is frequently made. The wider stakeholder community didnít realise the range of activities that the gas networks deliver.
I know it is a “British thing”, being modest about your achievements, but I am inclined to think that maybe the networks have taken this too far. I suspect many political stakeholders simply have no idea of what their local network does other than dig up roads and install yellow pipe.
So it may surprise you that National Grid were being praised in the House of Commons by, wait for it, yes the Justice Department. There it was, live on TV, a Minister at the despatch box praising the company and its partners for the low re-offending rate for its Youth Offender Programme. And the outcome is worthy of noting. It has a programme re-offending rate of under 7 per cent (after one year) compared to a national average of 55 per cent for young offenders and 50 per cent for adults.
And this matters because getting offenders back into society and not returning to crime benefits us all. When it costs an estimated £40,000 a year to keep someone in prison, then stopping re-offending has huge financial returns too. I use this as one example of the “hidden” work that goes on each day in our gas networks and I know there are many many more. Now what is that phrase about light, bushel and hiding?
Mike Foster CE
- HWA launch heat networks design guide
- HWA Launch Hot Water Cylinder Consumer Servicing Guide
- JUL 2018 Homeowners could save up to £240 a year using excess solar energy to heat their hot water, says HWA.
- MAR 2018 HWA supports Government calls to mandate hot water storage in new builds
- OCT 2016 HETAS joins the Hot Water Association
- OCT 2016 New Biomass Technical standard launched by HWA and HETAS
- JUL 2016 ĎNaked cylindersí breach Building Regulations warns HWA
- JUN 2016 HWA Charter updated to include ErP Directive requirements
- MAY 2016 Whatís the agenda?
- MAY 2016 Gas networks donít just hide assets under ground
Driving to improve standards within the domestic hot water industry